My name is Remington and this is my blog. I write about the things I don’t understand, the things that scare me, or piss me off. I interview people I find interesting in hopes that you also find these people interesting.
I am an ex-patriot living in the a small province called Pasewalk in the German State of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Because of my location and the bi-lingual life I live, I will post in both english and german… which ever is more appropriate.
Why do this?
- There are so many interesting people and stories to be shared. Podcasting and blogging is the easiest most free format to get theses stories and perspectives out there.
- It feels right. I admit I love to hear myself talk. Actively listening and getting people to open up is a skill I have.
- I hope the long format of a live podcast will induce my guests to open up about the things that fire them up. The live format keeps thing real.
Originally from the Northern California area I became an “exotic” when I moved out to a small village in the old east Germany.
Why blog publicly?
- Sharing my honest opinions and thoughts on the world around me is an experiment in finding a common ground with other ex-patriots here in Germany.
- People that are considering making the move to Germany will hopefully be able to learn from the mistakes I made.
- Moving and staying in Germany for me is a constant journey. The cultural differences are many.. but I think I’m slowly going “full German.”
What topics will I write about?
- Moving to Germany permanently
- The cultural nuances of “Z-Germans”
- What I love here and why I stayed
- Tips and tricks for taking the leap of faith needed to relocate.
- Health and Fitness, Keto Diet, Fasting, hacking your diet. What you put in is what you get out.
- My passion for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu even though I found it at a late age.
- The “joys” of parenting. I’m a father of three. Two girls and a boy.
- The journey of trying out Podcasting.
- Starting out as a comedian at 35 in Germany as an American.
Who would I love to connect with via my blog?
- I hope to connect to others that share the same passions as I do.
- I love to be challenged on the things I believe, so anybody that has a unique perspective that can back up their ideas with convincing arguments is game for my show.
- I’ve always prided myself on keeping my ego low enough to accept that I don’t know shit. Usually the first step to learning is accepting that. Guests that reveal this are my target interviewees.
Hopefully by next year the podcast and blog “Der Amerikaner” has reached the people that can relate with my thirst for connection to others and more knowledge in general.
Please join me in my journey of enlightenment. For me this means constantly re-inventing myself through self-realisation and humility with a large dose of gratitude!
-The Real Remington